Friday, September 27, 2013

Milk Bread

Recently I bought another bread book on a whim! I had some vouchers to use at Popular bookstore and after buying some story books for my grandsons, I still had a ten-dollar voucher left to spend. After browsing, I chanced upon this bread book by Alan Ooi and immediately I was attracted to the pictures. I love cookery and baking books with lots of illustrations as they allow me to see the end result of the recipes.
This is the first recipe that I have tried from the book. I have no regrets so far as it turned out very good -  a milky and soft, moist bread!


Ingredients: ( Yields about 966g dough)

A
350g bread flour
150g plain flour
30g milk powder (I used Anlene. It's the only type I have)
40g caster sugar
7g instant yeast
8g salt

B
250ml cold fresh milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
60g unsalted butter, soften
Evaporated milk for glazing

1. Place ingredients A in a miximg bowl and give it a couple of swirls with a hand whisk to mix.

2. Add milk and egg and mix with a dough hook until it forms a dough.

3. Add butter and continue mixing till all the butter is thoroughly blended in and the dough is smooth and elastic.

4. Remove dough and shape into a ball and place it in the mixing bowl, cover with a damp tea cloth or clingwrap. Rest the dough till it doubles in size.

5. Remove dough and hand knead for 1 minute.

6. Cut the amount required. I divided the dough into 2 portions.

7. Flatten the dough into a rectangular shape and roll like a swiss roll taking care to seal the joints.

8. I placed one portion in a loaf tin and the other on a baking tray. Rest until it doubles in size.

9. Make slits on the top of dough, glaze with evaporated milk.

10. Bake in preheated oven 195deg C for 20 minutes.

11. Remove bread to cool on a rack.











2 comments:

  1. This loaf looks so pretty! I want to bake bread but I am getting so lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Edith,
    When you get into the mood, you'll want to keep baking!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my humble blog. Please do drop a line or advice. My apologies if I am unable to respond to all your comments. Please leave a name rather than 'annoymous' after your comments.