It has been many, many years since I made kueh pulut kaya. I used to take orders for this. Ever since I stopped my home cake business about 15 years ago, I hardly bake those cakes, mooncakes or even kueh-kueh that my customers used to order. I reached a point where I could no longer go on. It was a one-man show for 25 years juggling between a regular-salaried job, baking as a sideline and family managing. Looking back, I never regretted that journey. Anyway, it was on a whim that I decided to make this kueh recently which is a favourite of my hubby!
(For a 20 x 15-cm tray)
For the glutinous rice layer:
270g glutinous rice, washed and soaked in water for 6 hours
240m1 thin coconut milk
pinch of salt
2 to 3 pandan leaves, cut into 5-cm lengths
1. Prepare steamer and bring water to a boil.
2. Drain the water from the rice and mix in coconut milk, salt and pandan leaves.
3. Pour rice into tray, lined with aluminium foil or greased. If you have the clitorea flower colouring, just sprinkle a few drops.
4. Steam rice for 15 minutes, then remove the pandan leaves and compress the layer of rice and level it.
For the kaya topping:
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon plain flour
315ml thick coconut milk
2 to 3 tablespoons pandan juice from blending of 30 pandan leaves with 200ml water
pinch of salt
1. Stir eggs and sugar. Do not beat thhe eggs as you don't want to aerate it and with less air, the surface will be smoother.
2. Mix the flour with a little coconut milk into a watery paste and then add in the egg mixture and the rest of the ingredients.
3.Strain the mixture to remove lumps.
4. Place mixture in a saucepan and slow cook over a low fire, stirring the mixture with a whisk, taking care to "sweep" the bottom of the pan to prevent a layer from thickening. Once the mixture is almost thickening, remove from heat and pour mixture over the rice.
5. Place a piece of aluminium foil over the tin and wrap it around to prevent water from collecting on the top of the kaya. Steam at medium to low heat for 40 to 50 minutes. If steam at high heat, ridges will be form on the kaya. Let kueh cool before cutting.