These were made not too long ago. They are one of the most common French pastries. I like the taste as it reminds me of our local kueh baulu although the ingredients used are different.
110g caster sugar
zest of 2 lemons
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
80g plain flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
85g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1. Using the fingers, rub the zest and sugar in a mixing bowl until well-mixed.
2. Add the eggs and whisk until thick and light.
3. Beat in the vanilla extract.
4. Then use a spatula and fold in gently the sifted flour with baking powder and salt followed by the butter.
5. Cover the surface of the batter with cling wrap and refrigerate for about 3 hours. (Chilling the batter helps the batter to form a hump during baking.)
6. Spoon batter into greased moulds almost to the brim. No greasing is required if using non-stick moulds.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 200 deg C for about 11 to 13 minutes.
8. Cool madeleines on rack.