This is a simple yet lovely dessert to make! This could be on the table set for a Christmas meal or even as a potluck item!
For shortcrust pastry, enough to line a 25-cm tart tin (can be prepared a day ahead)
300g plain flour
3 tablespoons caster sugar
200g unsalted butter, cubed
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons cold water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Sift flour into a mixing bowl. and mix in sugar.
2. Rub in the butter into the flour until it becomes crumbly.
3. Mix egg yolks and water and pour into flour mixture and mix to form a dough.(Do not overmix)
4. Roll dough into a ball and clingwrap before refrigerating for about 30 minutes before rolling out.
5. Place dough between baking paper and roll out to size and place into a greased tart tin. Make sure to tuck pastry into the fluted part of tin. trim of excess pastry.
6. Place a foil on the pastry and fill it with baking beans. Blind bake in preheated oven 200deg C for 20 minutes. Remove foil and beans and bake again for 15 minutes. Remove and egg wash and bake for 1 minute.
7. Set aside to cool before adding filling.
6 large green apples, skinned and sliced or cubed
Zest of 1 lemon
3 teaspoons lemon juice
45g brown sugar
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1. Mix apple with lemon zest and juice.
2. Place all ingredinets in a saucepan and mix well and cook over medium heat to cook for about 5 to 8 minutes. Set a side to cool.
Crunble Topping(prepare ahead before the filling)
1 cup rolled oats
90g brown sugar
6 tablespoons plain flour
100g butter, cubed
1. Mix all ingredients together. It shoild be crumbly. Chill until use.
To assemble pie
1. Fill pie shell with apple mixture, leaving about 1cm from the brim. Top up with crumble and bake in preheated oven 180deg C for about 30 to 40 minutes.
2. Let pie cool down completely before removing from tin.