Well, I decided to give it a shot!
48 Hershey's Kisses brand Milk Chocolate
3/4 cup Reese Creamy or Crunchy Peanut Butter (I used Skippy)
1/2 cup shortening (used butter)
1/3 granulated sugar (didn't have any, so used fine sugar)
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk (used UHT)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (used plain flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
extra granulated sugar to roll unbaked cookies (didn't used it)
1. Heat oven to 190 deg C. Remove wrappers from chocolates. Set aside.
2. Beat peanut butter and shortening with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
3. Add sugar and beat till fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla and beat well.
4. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt, gradually beat into peanut mixture.
5. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in additional granulated sugar, place on ungreased cookie sheet.
6. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate into the centre of each cookie. Cookie will crack around edges. Remove to wire rack and cool completely.
Makes about 48 cookies.
The Book - I was attracted to the pictures.
I an not sure about Shirley, but I definitely won't want to bake this again unless I tweak the recipe. It's not crunchy enough for me. Perhaps it could be the butter which I substituted. It's a pity cos they are cute-looking!