I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #5 Fruity March hosted by Bakericious .
This is a healthy yet delicious bread which can be eaten on its own. My hubby prefers to eat it with a slab of butter. Hmmm... not so healthy to me!
270g Bread flour
30g Cake flour
70g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
2 tablespoons low fat milk powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoon instant dry yeast
1 egg yolk
170g warm water
50 ml olive oil
40g chopped walnuts
1. Sift both flour into mixing bowl.
2. Add in sugar, salt, milk powder, spices and yeast. Use a whisk to mix the ingredients well.
3. Mix egg yolk with 170g warm water.
4. Attach dough hook to mixer at low speed, gradually pour in egg and water mixture and mix till well combined.
5. Pour in olive oil, bit by bit, making sure it is incorporated into the dough.
6. Machine-knead for 20 minutes.
7. Remove dough onto lightly floured board and roll into a big ball.
8. Place dough in a bowl and cover with cling wrap and let it proof for 50 minutes or more (depending on the weather) till it doubles in size.
9. Remove the dough and punch it flat. Roll out into a rectangle about 1 1/2 cm thick. Sprinkle fruit and nut mixture evenly and then roll up like a swiss roll.
10. Place on a baking tray, covered with a damp cloth to proof for 30 to 40 minutes or till it doubles in size.
11. Bake at preheated oven 200 deg C for 15 to 20 minutes.
My oven has been acting up lately
and the browning is becoming more and more uneven!
I couldn't wait for the bread to cool
and had these two slices!