For the country that has lots of coconuts
Palm sugar or gula melaka!
The Recipe: (Adapted from A. Goh)
50g palm sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
40 ml oil
40 ml coconut milk
100g plain flour
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1 teaspoon double action baking powder
some raisins for topping (optional)
1. Prepare steamer and bring water to boil and leave it to simmer on low heat.
2. Place palm sugar, salt and water in a saucepan and bring it to a slight boil till sugar has dissolved. Strain and leave it to cool. This should be done beforehand.
3. Whisk egg and sugar till thick and creamy. Pour in palm sugar syrup and continue beating at high speed till well mixed.
4. Add in oil and coconut milk and mix well. At this point, bring the water in the steamer to a boil.
5. Fold in the sifted flour and baking powder and baking soda.
6. Pour into lined cups and steam on high heat for 12 to 15 minutes depending on the size of the cups.