This version of ondeh ondeh is minus the sweet potato as I had missed out buying it this morning at the market.
10 pandan leaves, cut into pieces
200g glutinous rice flour
1 tablespoon tapioca flour
1/4 tespoon salt
70g gula melaka, cut up to pieces (filling)
100g grated coconut, without skin
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 pandan leaves
1. Mix grated coconut and salt and steam it with cut pandan leaves for 10 minutes. Set aside.
2. Blend pandan leaves and water. Use a muslin cloth and squeeze out pandan juice.(the darker, the better to have a natural green colouring)
3. Mix flour, salt and a little pandan juice at a time to get a pliable dough. Take 40g dough(starter dough) and flatten it. Put into boiling water to cook it. Once it floats, remove and let it cool slightly.
4. Mix starter dough with the rest of the dough and knead well. Dust with a little glutinous flour if dough is sticky.
5. Pinch a small portion of dough, roll into a ball and make a well to put in filling. Seal well to prevent leakage of filling and set aside.
6. Boil a pot of water with some pandan leaves. Remove leaves. Drop the balls of dough with filling into boiling water to cook them. Remove and coat with grated coconut.