I decided to use beetroot and raspberries to get the colour.
Acidic ingredients play a part to stabilise the colour.
But many factors can cause the colour change!
I am no expert in chemistry, therefore I cannot explain further.
140g cake flour
1 and 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder (don't use dutch processed because of alkali)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
115g unsalted butter
200g caster sugar
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
65 ml buttermilk
65 ml raspberry juice
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
75g raw beetroot, cubed
1. Place all ingredients in C into a blender. Puree the beetroot until fine.
2. Sift all ingredients in A together into a bowl.
3. Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add one egg at a time and continue creaming and then add vanilla extract.
4. Mix in dry ingredients and wet ingredients alternately.
5. Spoon batter into cupcases, 2/3 full.
6. Bake in preheated oven 170deg C for 20 to 25 mins or more. Test with skewer.
7. Cool and top with cream cheese etc.
They have a lovely red colour before baking!
They have a more brownish red colour after baking!
Cake texture is quite dense and wettish!
Tastewise is good - tangy sweet! No taste of beetroot!