Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Red Velvet Cupcakes - Second Attempt

My first attempt at RVC yielded a densed yet soft and very moist cupcakes with a tangy sweet taste.
In fact it tasted better after a couple of days. There wasn't a hint of raw beetroot being used.
The only setback was its colour which did not live up to its name - Red Velvet Cake!

This is my second attempt and I like not only the texture of the cake but also the use of sunflower oil instead of butter because it's healthier!


Ingredients: (makes 12 cupcakes)

A
100g beetroot, cubed and later to be pureed
 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup buttermilk


B
130 g Self-raising flour
5 teaspoons beetroot powder
1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder


C
150ml sunflower oil
1 large egg
120g caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Puree beetroot, lemon juice and buttermilk together.

2. Sift all dry ingredients together in A.

3. Whisk egg and sugar at high speed until thick and creamy. Add in oil and vanilla extract at medium speed.

4. Add some flour to the egg mixture and mix well. Alternate with beetroot puree and flour.

5. Mix well and fill cupcake cases and bake in preheated oven 170deg C for 20 to 25 minutes or until skewer test comes clean. Batter is quite watery but no worries as it will bake well.


Anxiously waiting for the baking to be done!


The colour is a deep red, in fact it's  maroon!
Well I will definitely make this again and frost the cake the next time time!


7 comments:

  1. I like this too...using natural coloring is so much better than the artificial ones that I used before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeannie,
    Yup! I prefer natural rather than all the artificial stuff!


    Hi Phong Hong,
    I prefer this recipe to the previous one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not bad and most important it's all natural ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is what I love about the world of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never baked red velvet cakes...these look perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my humble blog. Please do drop a line or advice. My apologies if I am unable to respond to all your comments. Please leave a name rather than 'annoymous' after your comments.