In fact it tasted better after a couple of days. There wasn't a hint of raw beetroot being used.
The only setback was its colour which did not live up to its name - Red Velvet Cake!
This is my second attempt and I like not only the texture of the cake but also the use of sunflower oil instead of butter because it's healthier!
Ingredients: (makes 12 cupcakes)
100g beetroot, cubed and later to be pureed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup buttermilk
130 g Self-raising flour
5 teaspoons beetroot powder
1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
150ml sunflower oil
1 large egg
120g caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Puree beetroot, lemon juice and buttermilk together.
2. Sift all dry ingredients together in A.
3. Whisk egg and sugar at high speed until thick and creamy. Add in oil and vanilla extract at medium speed.
4. Add some flour to the egg mixture and mix well. Alternate with beetroot puree and flour.
5. Mix well and fill cupcake cases and bake in preheated oven 170deg C for 20 to 25 minutes or until skewer test comes clean. Batter is quite watery but no worries as it will bake well.
Anxiously waiting for the baking to be done!
The colour is a deep red, in fact it's maroon!