Monday, November 15, 2010

Raisin and Butterscotch Bread

Yesterday afternoon was dreary - it was raining heavily for hours. We braved the rain and went out for lunch at 3, a rather late lunch. When I returned from lunch around 4 plus, I had the urge to bake bread. I don't know why, but rainy days seem to make me want to bake. Maybe I like the warmth of the kitchen on rainy days.

In the past, I baked bread without using the 'tangzhong'. I read so many reviews about using it and how it really helps to improve the bread in terms of texture. The recent raisin bread was done with tangzhong and I found that it did wonders. The bread remained soft and moist even on the third day.

I ventured again with another of my bread recipes (all my previous bread recipes do not use tangzhong) and just went with my gut feeling as to the amount of tangzhong to add.

Not wanting to waste the tangzhong, I made a smaller portion which just about suffice for my bread recipe.

The recipe for about 120g tangzhong :

30g bread flour
150ml water

Mix flour and water till smooth. Sieve the mixture to remove tiny lumps.
Over medium heat, cook the mixture, stirring all the time till it thickens and reaches a temperature of about 65 deg C. Remove and cover with cling-wrap touching the mixture and let it cool. It can be placed in the fridge.


The recipe for the bread:

A
300g bread flour
60g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
2 tablespoons milk powder
1 and 1/2 teaspoons instant dry yeast


B
160 ml water or milk
1 egg yolk
100g tangzhong (take it out from fridge and let it be at room temperature before use)

40g butter

100g raisins
100g butterscotch chips


1. Place all dry ingredients in A and whisk it to mix.

2. Mix egg yolk, tangzhong and milk till smooth. Add in slowly into mixer working with the dough hook at medium slow speed.

3. When all the dry ingredients are incorporated with the liquid, add in the butter and mix till it forms a ball. Check to see if dough is too wet, then add a tablespoon flour.

4. Knead dough for 20 minutes. It should not be very sticky.

5. Remove dough and make it into a big ball. Place it in a big bowl and cover with a damp cloth or cling-wrap. Prove it for 50 minutes or till it doubles in size. Proving time depends on weather conditions. My dough took 1 hour because it was rainy.

6. After proving, remove dough and deflate it by pressing or punching it.

7. Roll out dough on a lightly-floured surface to a rectangle. Sprinkle raisins and butterscotch chips. Roll up dough like a swiss roll and place in a loaf tin, the sealed side downwards. I used 2 loaf tins 22cm x 12 cm x 8cm. Brush with egg if preferred.

8. Bake in preheated oven 200 deg C for 12 to 15 minutes. Once done, brush some butter on the top. Remove and cool on wire rack.
If stored in an air-tight container, the bread will remain soft and moist up to 3 days.



The two loaves didn't turn out to be twins as expected because I was doing a hurried job. Didn't want to miss my TV programme and guess what I was watching?......Shrek 3! I must be in my second childhood. Anyway I enjoy all the Shrek series, a twist to the usual fairy tales!




The Better Twin


Not very well distributed, the centre is plain!

12 comments:

  1. Can you please bake me a loaf of bread??? I really want to taste your bread.. it looks so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, this looks and sounds good. It's good on its own already! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of them look very soft and nice. It must have tasted really great with butterscotch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Gardenia's butterscotch loaf.
    The smell is so good.
    I hope you are my neighbour so that I can have additive free bread :)
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm...beautiful loaves. Love the golden look. With those sweet raisins, I think I can eat at least half a loaf :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg, i love the butterscotch element in this bread...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kimberly,
    Thanks. The butterscotch chips did wonders.

    Hi Jane,
    It is indeed good on its own. Thanks.

    Hi Angie,
    The butterscotch chips were good in the bread.

    Hi Wendy,
    I got this idea from Gardenia. A friend told me about its butterscotch bread at Jusco. I bought 3 loaves at a go! Totally great flavour!

    Hi Mary,
    Besides breakfast, I snack on them.


    Hi Rita,
    Butterscotch chips also taste good in cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!
    Just discovered your blog and now I am your newest follower!
    This bread looks so delicious!
    Have a nice day:)

    Barbaraxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sonia,
    Thanks.


    Hi Barbara,
    Thanks for dropping by. It's a nice bread that can be eaten on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Butterscotch bread!! I am totoally sold!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good job! I gave up on tangzhong. I tried thrice but find it very hard to work with, too wet, need to add in extra flour all the time. But must admit that the bread remains soft the next day and day after.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my humble blog. Please do drop a line or advice. My apologies if I am unable to respond to all your comments. Please leave a name rather than 'annoymous' after your comments.