Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Spicy Tamarind Fish (2)

I cooked half of a diamond..... err diamond trevally or ikan chermin in Malay.
This was one of the fish my hub caught. (Forgot to take a pic)
It was quite big, almost 2 kg. I chopped the fish into two.
So today I used the tail part to cook assam pedas.
The head... hmmm.... maybe curry!




The Recipe:(In the previous recipe, I used buah keluak paste)

600g fish

A
250g peeled onions (1/2 shallots and 1/2 big onions)
3 cloves garlic
1 thumb-sized, thumb-length turmeric/kunyit
3 stalks lemon grass/serai (2 stalks to be ground and 1 stalk, bruised)
5 fresh red chillies and 5 dried chillies (add more if extreme spiciness is preferred)
3-cm galangal/lengkuas
1 teaspoon belachan/shrimp paste

B
1 small pineapple, sliced
6 lady's fingers
a small bunch of laksa leaves
tamarind/ assam water (if more tangy, use more tamarind to soak in water and how thick or diluted gravy preferred)
100ml thick coconut milk (optional)

Oil
Salt and sugar to taste

1. Grind ingredients in A.

2. Heat enough oil in a pot and fry A till fragrant.

3. Add in tamarind water, pineapple, some laksa leaves and fish. Bring to a boil.

4. Then add lady's fingers, salt and sugar to taste. (If using coconut milk, to add now) Boil for a while to cook the lady's fingers and it's done!

5. Serve with rice.


10 comments:

  1. Wah, I will eat a lot of rice if I can have this for dinner, yum yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my all-time favourite, love it anytime. Add in some bean curd puffs, that'll be the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you put in pineapples...must be very nice!
    I find you very familiar with the "Malay" ingredients altho you r from S'pore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so blessed to get fresh fish all the time. Wish I am your neighbour. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wendy,
    Yup! It goes well with rice.


    Hi Cheah,
    My hub's favourite too! Never tried with bean cud puffs. Will add some the next time.


    Hi Meldylocks,
    The pineapple complements the dish. It's shiok!
    I studied Malay in school.


    Hi Edith,
    You're not so far away. A train ride would be able to reach you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always give me the fish dishes that I enjoy. Steamed fish or in spicy tamarind gravy (assam fish) like this - I like all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can eat a lot of rice with this tamarind fish, look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yumm i can eat tons of rice with this sorta dish! lip smacking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have asked for the 2nd serving! Looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that fish....sour and appetising. I will have to cook more rice :D Thanks very much for dropping by while I was away. Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my humble blog. Please do drop a line or advice. My apologies if I am unable to respond to all your comments. Please leave a name rather than 'annoymous' after your comments.