Saturday, May 22, 2010

Coconut Marble Jelly

This is for my dear husband. Any food cooked in coconut milk is a favourite of his. Not too long ago, he requested for a gula melaka jelly. But I think this one with coconut milk will do.

This recipe is an old favourite of mine. I have not made this for a very long time (more than 5 years). The recipe calls for agar agar strips and the amounts were given in ounces. I have converted to the metric measurements and instead of using agar agar strips, I used the powder form.

What you will need for Coconut Marble Jelly:

For the coloured part:

3 teaspoons agar agar powder (I used Rose brand)
half teaspoon gelatine powder 110g sugar
450 ml water
3 pandan leaves
Food colouring of choice


Here's how you do it:

1. Fill saucepan with water and sprinkle agar powder and gelatine powder.

2. Add sugar and pandan leaves and stir to mix.

3. Bring mixture to boil, stirring all the time. Add colouring and stir.

4. Remove leaves and pour into a 20-cm square tin and let it set.

5. When jelly is set, use a knife to cut it into strips and leave it in the tin.

For the coconut part:

3 teasp
oons agar agar powder
1 teaspoon gelatine powder
120g sugar
quarter teaspoon salt
250 ml water
200 ml thick coconut milk (I used Heng Guan pasteurised coconut milk)
100 ml milk (I used UHT milk)
4 pandan leaves

Here's how you do it:

1.
Fill saucepan with water and sprinkle agar powder and gelatine powder.

2.
Add sugar and pandan leaves and stir to mix.

3. Pour in the coconut milk (santan) and UHT milk and stir.

4. Bring mixture to boil for a few seconds, stirring all the time.

5. Pour the coconut mixture into the tin of coloured jelly strips. Stir lightly to mix the strips. Let it cool to set. Refrigerate and slice to serve.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my humble blog. Please do drop a line or advice. My apologies if I am unable to respond to all your comments. Please leave a name rather than 'annoymous' after your comments.