Friday, May 28, 2010

Spicy Tamarind Fish (1)

There are about 8 fish awaiting in the freezer. They were the ones brought home by my husband when he last went fishing at Pulau Dayang.

Since I had the time this morning, I decided to cook 2 medium-sized snappers. I took them out to thaw and then proceeded to scale and remove the guts. I dislike doing it because I always end up getting poke in the fingers by their sharp fin tips. Don't suggest wearing gloves 'cos I can't work in them.

As I have mentioned before, I would usually prepare certain spices and store them in air-tight containers for future use. Well today is one of those days. Hmm.....Let me see what do I have..... buah keluak paste, ground galangal, green curry, ground dried prawns, stock and chilli sambal.
Now, what shall I cook?

It's spicy and tangy.......It's ikan masak assam pedas!


This is what I used:

2 medium-sized fish, cleaned and rub a little salt all over including the gut area

2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 medium-size onion, sliced

4 heaped tablespoon chilli sambal (I use this for nasi lemak)
1 heaped tablespoon buah keluak paste
1 teaspoon ground fresh galangal (lengkwas/ lam keom)

100g tamarind paste mixed with 500ml water and strain for the assam juice
1 can sliced pineapples, drain and keep the syrup for cooking (I did not have any lady's fingers or brinjal, so I used what I had in the cupboard)

some sliced lemon (I had some leftover from previous bake)
a few kaffir lime leaves (daun purut)

oil, enough to cover the pot base
sugar and salt to taste
water, if required to increase gravy

This is what I did:

1. Heat oil, and stir fry the spices, garlic and onion till fragrant.

2. Add tamarind juice, pineapple syrup, lemon slices, salt and sugar to taste and bring to boil.

3. Add in the fish and cover pan and cook for about 10 minutes or till fish is cooked (depends on size and thickness of flesh).

4. Remove fish to a dish. Add sliced pineapple and kaffir lime leaves into the gravy and bring to a boil.

5. Spoon gravy and pineapple slices over fish and serve with rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my humble blog. Please do drop a line or advice. My apologies if I am unable to respond to all your comments. Please leave a name rather than 'annoymous' after your comments.