To make my job easier, I chopped off the heads and belly - I don't have to wrestle with the gills and guts!!
I finally did it and as they were not fresh enough to be steamed, I make something spicy.
I had a jar of tom yam paste which I bought some months ago.
I had to use about 3/4 jar of paste before I was quite satisfied with the taste. It was still not good enough. I didn't get the 'oomph' I wanted.
I resorted to adding some home-made chilli sambal, 3 stalks of sliced serai and 4 chilli padi and WOW!
What I used:
3/4 jar tom yam paste
3 tablespoon chilli sambal
3 stalks serai, sliced thick
4 chilli padi, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
juice of one lemon
salt and sugar to taste
What I did:
1. Fry onions, serai, chilli, tom yam paste and sambal.
2. Add in lemon juice and some water.
3. Bring to a boil and season the gravy before adding the fish.
4. Simmer till the fish is cooked.
5. Serve with a spoonful of nonya achar.