Friday, April 30, 2010
Lychee Butter Cake
The weather today is unbearable. It is definitely the wrong day to do any cake decorating. After baking a cake and while waiting for it to cool, I went about preparing a ganache. Woe is me! Somehow I misread the recipe, and the ganache turned out very runny. Okay, what now? I had to ice the cake. So I whipped up some fresh cream and proceeded to ice it. The heat was unrelenting and the cream was weeping!!!! To add to my woes, even my MM fondant figures had begun to 'slide'.
Boo hoo hoo! My kitchen was like a furnace and I was 'sweating'! Eventually I managed to complete a disastrous- looking cake. My apologies to the car enthusiast.
The cake is now 'safely' stored in the fridge.
Driving along the edge of the cliff requires skills.........
Recipe for Lychee Butter Cake
3 egg whites
120g caster sugar
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 egg yolks
100g chopped lychees
120ml melted butter
1/4 teaspoon lychee essence
170g plain flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1. Sift flour and baking powder.
2. Whisk egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar at high speed until it peaks.
3. Then add in the egg yolk, one at a time and mix at medium speed.
4. Add in the chopped lychees and essence.
5. Then add in the 1/3 butter alternating with flour.
6. Bake in greased and lined 7-inch round tin at pre-heated oven 160 degrees C for 40 minutes.