Monday, June 7, 2010

"Keema" Curry My Way

Anything curry or spicy goes down well with my husband. I try to cook such dishes as often as possible. I cook the healthier version as compared to those served at food courts or hawker centres. Less oil, healthier type of oil, less salt and better cuts of meat with minimum fat make a 'healthidelicious' meal.

This dish is easy to prepare. It is usually eaten with french loaf, baguette or roti prata.

What I used:

200g minced meat (I minced the meat myself. Avoid buying ready minced meat as they contain a lot of fat)

1 1/2 packet curry powder for meat, mixed with some water to a paste (I used Earthern Pot brand and they come in packets of 50g)

3 large onions, chopped finely or ground
3 cloves garlic, chopped or ground
1 cm thick ginger, grated or ground
some curry leaves
coriander leaves, chopped

1/2 carrot, grated finely or chopped
3 potatoes, cubed
2 large tomatoes, chopped coarsely
2 tablespoon milk or coconut cream (optional)

salt to taste
some water, depending on how much gravy you want
oil for frying spices

other possible additions : chick peas, green peas

What I did:

1. Heat enough oil and fry onions, garlic and ginger for 1 minute or so.

2. Add in the curry paste and some curry leaves and stir fry continuously till fragrant.

3. Then add in carrot, potatoes, meat and some water and stir to mix.

4. Add sufficient water, cover and simmer. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking to the base of pot.

5. When potatoes are about done, add in tomatoes, coconut cream and some curry leaves and salt to taste.

6. Bring to boil and turn off heat.

7. Garnish with chopped coriander before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my humble blog. Please do drop a line or advice. My apologies if I am unable to respond to all your comments. Please leave a name rather than 'annoymous' after your comments.