Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Short Crust Pastry

Pastry recipes vary. Making pastry is easy. For the occasional bakers, it is almost foolproof.
Sweet pastry and shortcrust pastry are easy to do. Puff pastry and choux pastry require some careful attention to the tips given.

I have a tub of pineapple jam leftover from cny. Pineapple jam can last for more than six months if it is cooked properly and has the right amount of sugar added (sugar is a form of preservative).

I didn't want to make the usual cny pineapple tarts, so I decided to use one of my many shortcrust pastry recipes to make little tartlets. I was too lazy to decorate it and left them 'bald'.

Recipe for Shortcrust Pastry:

250g plain flour
150g butter, from the fridge
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 egg yolk
About 2 to 3 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence

This is what I did:

1. Sift flour. Cube the butter and rub into flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.

2. Add sugar and mix well. Then add egg yolk, water and essence and mix to form a dough.
Do not knead.

3. Wrap dough in cling wrap and refrigerate for 1/2 hour.

4. Roll dough between 2 plastic sheets (prevents sticking to rolling pin) to desired thickness.

5. Cut out the shape or size required and press into pastry moulds.

6. Prick a couple of holes on the base before putting in the filling.

7. Bake at pre-heated oven 160 degrees C for about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my humble blog. Please do drop a line or advice. My apologies if I am unable to respond to all your comments. Please leave a name rather than 'annoymous' after your comments.