Oh darn!! I don't have any canned peaches, only a can of sliced pineapples. Pineapple-Upside-Down cake??? Nah! Stick to my original yearning!
So I decided on a fruit pastry cake.
What I used: (see my original lemon cake recipe, tweaked for this cake)
170g salted butter, softened
110g caster sugar (original 200g)
3 large eggs
2 tablespoon sour cream (I used Bulla's light)
30g ground almond
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
150g plain flour sifted with 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 can sliced pineapples, halved
125g fresh blueberries
20g dried cranberries (optional)
What I did:
1. Cream butter, sour cream and sugar till light and fluffy and then add eggs one at a time.
2. Once the eggs are combined, add vanilla and ground almond and mix well.
3. Then add in flour in 3 batches and mix well.
4. Pour into greased 10-inch/26-cm round tin. I used two oval tins. The batter should be about 3 cm high.
5. Arrange fruits and bake at 180 deg C for 40 minutes or till skewer comes out clean.
I find the pineapple slices rather pale. I should have sprinkled some sugar on them before baking so that it will caramelised and give the golden look. OR I should have gone out to get a can of peaches - they would have given a more handsome look. :p
Tastewise, the cake was not sweet nor cloying because the pineapples were slightly tangy. The little cranberries added did not make a difference in flavour. I will omit them next time.