Friday, March 19, 2010

Lychee Cake


Yup! A fruity cake I did. A lychee cake for my friend whom I'm meeting tonight.
I used one of my very old optima sponge cake recipe (book pages have turned yellow!) and flavoured it with lychee. Fresh cream and canned lychees were used.

Ingredients for Chiffon Sponge cake:

A.
4 egg yolks
60 ml olive oil
40 ml water
110g Optima Flour
60g Hongkong flour, sifted
half teaspoon baking soda

B.
4 egg whites
70g caster sugar
a quarter teaspoon cream of tartar
half teaspoon of lychee essence

Method:

1. Preheat oven at 160 degrees C and lined and grease bottom of 9" round tin but not the sides.
2. Mix egg yolks, oil and water together.
3. Add flour and essence and put aside.
4. Whisk egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar at medium speed for about 5 minutes or till stiff.
5. Add egg yolk mixture to the egg whites and mixed carefully. Do not mix too long.
6. Pour mixture into tin and bang tin slightly to remove any air space.
7. Reduce oven temperature to 150 degrees C and bake for about 50 minutes or when inserted
skewer comes out clean.
8. Leave cake in tin upside down on a wire rack until it cools.
9. Use a knife or spatula and run it round the side of the cake to loosen it and the cake will fall
out.
10. Then ice the cake with any kind of frosting preferred or you can eat it plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my humble blog. Please do drop a line or advice. My apologies if I am unable to respond to all your comments. Please leave a name rather than 'annoymous' after your comments.