Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mandarin Orange Muffins






I was tidying my fridge after cooking lunch and came across a mysterious Ntuc plastic bag of something which was placed deep inside the shelf. For the life of me, I couldn't recall what was in the package. Hah! Ten mandarin oranges leftover from CNY! I peeled one and it was still good and sweet. Hmmm........ I decided to use them in my baking. I remembered reading Oi Lin's Lychee Muffin recipe and thought to myself, "Why not have fresh orange muffins?"


Mandarin Orange Muffins ( Adapted from Oi Lin's Lychee Muffins)

Ingredients:

80g salted butter
4 tablespoon evaporated milk
1 teaspoon orange emulsion
2 teaspoon grated orange rind
120g Cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
75g caster sugar
140g peeled mandarin oranges, seeds removed and cut into 4 (reserve a quarter for topping)

Method:

1. Preheat oven at 170
2. Let butter soften at room temperature and mix in the milk, orange emulsion and rind.
3. Sift flour and baking powder.
4. Whisk egg and sugar on high for 4 minutes till thick.
5. Add in butter mixture gently.
6. Fold in flour and cut oranges alternately.
7. Fill up muffins cups or cupcake cases to the brim and top up with cut oranges.
8. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

Verdict: The muffin mix is not too sweet but the sweet oranges make up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my humble blog. Please do drop a line or advice. My apologies if I am unable to respond to all your comments. Please leave a name rather than 'annoymous' after your comments.